A spiced winter lager (bock or a spiced winter ale) partners with rye whiskey and an array of citrus fruit and berries, clove and cinnamon for a winter beer sangria you can drink plenty of before you feel the power of the punch.
Cuisine: Craft Beer Cocktails
Keyword: beer cocktail, christmas punch, low calorie sangria, winter cocktail
Servings: 4 cocktails
- 6 oz rye whiskey
- 2 12 oz bottles of spiced winter lager/ale
- 12 oz sparkling water citrus or berry flavored recommended
- 2 oz orange juice
- 1 blood orange sliced thin
- 1 common orange Valencia, Navel, Cara Cara sliced thin
- 1/2 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks plus more for garnish
- 2 sprigs of rosemary plus more for garnish
Wash and cut (as appropriate) all the fruit and arrange in layers at the bottom of a pitcher.
Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks and rosemary.
Add the rye whiskey and the orange juice and let the fruit soak for a few minutes.
If you are going to serve the winter beer sangria right away prepare glasses with ice cubes and fruit/rosemary garnish, otherwise consider refrigerating it until needed. Optional - prepare extra cinnamon sticks for garnish and to use as straws if desired.
When ready to serve add the sparkling water first and then the beer. When you add the beer pause frequently to let the foam dissipate.
Gently stir everything together and once the fruit settles to the bottom pour into glasses.