Classic Beer Boiled Peel and Eat Shrimp
Food and beer wise, this recipe is what summer is made of. No fuss, low key and sooo delicious. Serves 2 as a main course, 4 as an appetizer.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 2 or 4
- 2 lbs of fresh 21-25 shrimp
- 1 yellow onion cut in small pieces
- 1 12 oz craft beer wheat ale, Pilsner, Kolsch, pale ale or lager
- 12 oz water
- 3 lemon wedges + extra for serving
- 3 lime wedges + extra for serving
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Old Bay seasoning or prepare your own by mixing: 1 tsp each of celery salt smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, dried oregano, dried thyme + 1/2 tsp black pepper
- drawn butter as needed
- cocktail sauce as needed
In a large pot mix beer and water and place over medium high heat.
Add the onion, lemon and lime wedges, bay leaf, mustard seed and 1 tbsp of the seasoning to the liquid and bring to simmer.
Add the shrimp and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Drain liquid and serve the shrimp, generously dusted with the remaining seasoning salt.
Serve with the drawn butter, cocktail sauce and boiled corn or potatoes, or both.