Kimchi salad with fresh green apple, lightly pickled daikon radish and cucumber, smoked paprika and sesame seeds. Probiotic and prebiotic rich. Sweet, salty, sour and hot all in one.
Course: Fermented Food
Servings: 2 servings
- 8 oz kimchi cabbage
- 1/2 green apple peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced English cucumber lightly pickled (pickling liquid recipe below)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced daikon radish lightly pickled (pickling liquid recipe below)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- pinch of salt
- To make pickled cucumber and daikon radish
- 1/2 English cucumber
- medium sized daikon root peeled
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
Prepare the pickled cucumber and daikon radish in advance and store in refrigerator.
Heat water over medium heat and once it begins to simmer, remove from heat and add salt and sugar.
Stir until dissolved and add rice vinegar. Let cool off.
Using a mandolin (or spiralizer) thinly slice cucumber and daikon and place in appropriately sized mason jar. Pour cooled pickling liquid, close lid and refrigerate.Let sit for 12-24 hours before using.
To assemble salad cut kimchi in small pieces, add julienned apple, pickled cucumber and daikon, sesame seeds, paprika and salt and mix well.
Let sit for a few minutes for the flavors to blend with each other.
Drizzle with sesame oil (sparingly, a little bit goes a long way) and serve.