How to make a sauerkraut martini – the perfect cocktail for lovers of sauerkraut and Oktoberfest parties.
- Go straight to the Recipe Card
- Read on for relevant information (1 min)
Chances are that you will either love or hate this sauerkraut and vodka drink. It can certainly stir up some cocktail passions.
If you like a dirty martini – you are very, very likely to appreciate its flavors. It is wonderful to enjoy just before a German themed culinary feast and is the perfect prelude to all the refreshing lagers that flow at an Oktoberfest party.
You Will Need
- Juice from naturally fermented sauerkraut, strained. If it is Bavarian style kraut (milder, more flavorful) – all the better
- Chilled vodka
- A lemon twist
- Cocktail shaker and ice
- Martini glass – classic or stemless; alternatively use a rocks glass
TIP: Keep your vodka in the freezer. The high alcohol by volume prevents it from freezing and it will be the perfect temperature for a martini.
How to Make It
- To a cocktail shaker filled with ice add equal parts vodka and sauerkraut juice.
- Close and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a martini glass with a twist placed at the bottom.
What Does a Martini with Sauerkraut Juice Taste Like?
When the chilled sauerkraut juice and the vodka blend in the ice-filled shaker tiny ice crystals form in the mixture and an entirely new flavor base is born.
The bold taste of the sauerkraut juice is tamed and balanced by the vodka dilution, while the vodka acquires a briny dimension with a slightly tart nuance.
The result is an elegant drink with a very faint spicy kind of bitterness and it can truly win over the palate. Enjoy the cocktail while still ice cold to experience it fully.
TIP: Use a lemon flavored vodka to impart a citrus presence or the peel of a preserved lemon instead of the fresh lemon twist for stronger lemon aroma.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Sauerkraut Salad with Apples and Leeks
Dirty Vodka Sauerkraut Martini
Surprisingly elegant flavors are born when chilled sauerkraut juice from naturally fermented sauerkraut is shaken with chilled vodka. The perfect prelude to an Oktoberfest party plus the added benefit of the probiotics.
- 2 oz sauerkraut juice (strained from naturally fermented sauerkraut)
- 2 oz vodka
- lemon twist
- ice cubes, enough to fill a cocktail shaker
Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add the sauerkraut juice and vodka and shake vigorously before straining into a martini glass with a lemon twist placed at the bottom.
Enjoy instantly while tiny ice crystal are still visible in the cocktail.
Feel free to alter the 1:1 ratio of sauerkraut juice and vodka to suit your personal preference.
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says
I’m SO excited to try this. You know I love sauerkraut! I also happen to despise sweet cocktails so this is perfect!