Bright, fresh flavors and versatile uses await with this incredibly easy scallion ginger sauce.
- Go straight to the Recipe Card or
- Read on for relevant information and step-by-step pictures (1 min)
This vibrant salsa is intensely flavored and incredibly mild and fresh at the same time. Use it as a condiment with a variety of Asian inspired dishes or with fish or shrimp tacos. It is also perfect with simply prepared proteins such as poached fish or even skillet pork chops and you should definitely try it with avocado toast.
It truly wins over the palate after a single taste. And it takes only five ingredients and a couple of minutes to make.
- Scallions. For best results choose thinner, younger green onions – they will have a milder taste than thicker ones. You will use only the white and light green parts.
- Ginger root. Definitely use fresh ginger as opposed to pickled. We like to keep ginger root in the freezer – it is much easier to grate that way and it lasts much longer.
- Neutral cooking oil. In order to let the flavors of the scallions and ginger dominate choose an oil such as olive oil (second pressing) or canola.
- Sherry vinegar. It has mild and sweetish taste which takes a backseat to the fresh ginger and green onions. You can substitute with flavored rice vinegar.
- Salt. Use kosher salt for best results.
How to Make Scallion Ginger Salsa – Step by Step
- Prep. Use a zester or the finest side of a box grater for the ginger. (We find that finely grating it is better than mincing because it gets incorporated into the sauce more fully.) Cut off the tops of the scallions and the dark green parts (save them for garnish to another dish). Thinly slice the white and light green parts.
- Combine. In a small bowl combine all the ingredients and gently mix with a spoon. Set the salsa aside for 20 to 30 minutes before serving. The flavors will marry and the texture of the onions will soften from the salt and vinegar.
This vibrant green condiment can add fresh depth and a flavor zing to a variety of dishes – from very simple to ones that already have a medley of flavors going on. Try it with:
- rice or cold noodles – simply spoon it over
- poached salmon or other oily fish
- cured or pan seared salmon
- grilled fish
- grilled chicken
- shrimp, lobster, crab
- sushi rolls
- tuna poke or seared tuna fillet
Health Benefits of Ginger Scallion Sauce
We love that this salsa is actually a health food on steroids and prepare it quite frequently. Between its two main ingredients it can provide a powerful boost to your overall health – much needed if you are an enthusiastic craft beer drinker like us.
- Among the many health benefits of scallions are prevention of infections and anti-viral properties, cholesterol level regulation, cancer prevention, and digestive benefits.
- Ginger itself has many properties beneficial to health and It is a powerful antibacterial agent, it can soothe sore muscles and provide relief from nausea, it can ease symptoms of arthritis, lower blood sugar and much more.
Storing the Sauce
Scallion ginger sauce will keep well refrigerated for 3 to 4 days. Be sure to store it in an airtight non reactive container.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- 2 bunches scallions (white and light green parts only, chopped finely)
- 1 inch cube ginger root (about 1 tsp grated)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp neutral cooking oil (vegetable or olive oil)
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar*
1. Use a zester or the finest side of a box grater to grate the ginger.
2. Remove the tops and the dark green parts of the scallions. Discard the former and use the latter in another dish. Thinly slice the white and light green parts.
3. In a small bowl combine all the ingredients. Stir around gently and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes for the flavors to marry. Enjoy!
*You can substitute with flavored rice vinegar which is similarly mild or 1/2 tsp of white wine vinegar + 1/2 tsp water.
The salsa will keep well refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 583mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g