How to make a Chavela drink with Modelo lager and optional tequila shot.
- Go straight to the Recipe Card or
- Read on for relevant tips and step by step pictures (2 mins)
What is a Chavela Drink?
Chavela is Mexican beer cocktail with tomato juice, seasoned with hot sauce, garnished with lemon or lime and served in a glass rimmed with coarse salt or spicy chile lime salt such as Tajin.
How is Chavela Different from Michelada?
A chavela is a classic cerveza preparada (prepared beer), just like its close relative the Michelada. However, there are several principal differences between the two beer cocktails.
- Chavela is a bit simpler compared to Michelada – it uses fewer ingredients.
- Chavela includes tomato juice while authentic Michelada does not.
- Chavela is typically made with cerveza clara (golden, crisp lager similar to pilsner), whereas Michelada is more commonly mixed with cerveza obscura (dark, amber colored lager in the style of Munich dunkel or Vienna lager).
- Chavela is sometimes spiked with a shot of tequila or served with a shot of tequila on the side.