- Go straight to the Recipe Card or
- Read on for relevant tips and process pictures (1 min)
- Mushrooms. Use your favorite type of wild or cultivated mushrooms or a combination of two or three varieties. We used cremini for this post – mild yet assertive flavor.
- Goat cheese. Add it to taste as its intense flavor can easily overpower the mushrooms.
- Puff pastry, phyllo dough or homemade strudel dough. The choice of dough is up to you. We prefer phyllo or pastry for the ease they offer, but if you’d rather make your own strudel dough we’ve provided instructions in the recipe card.
- Butter. A bit to cook the mushrooms in, most of it to brush on the strudel. You will need significantly more if using phyllo dough, a bit less if making your own dough and very little with puff pastry which already has butter worked into it.
- Garlic. A couple of cloves cook with the mushrooms.
- Parsley and thyme. For the savory filling and to use as garnish.
- Flour. To help thicken the filling and prevent it from oozing out of the strudel.
- Salt and pepper. To season the filling.
How to Make Goat Cheese Mushroom Strudel
- Prep the dough. Thaw puff pastry or phyllo dough in advance, according to the packaging instructions. Alternatively, prepare homemade strudel dough.
- Make the filling. Saute the chopped mushrooms (see tip below) in butter along with the garlic and thyme. When they loose most of their moisture, add the parsley, S&P and the flour, stir and cook for another minute. Let cool down a bit and fold in chunks of goat cheese.
- Roll. On a clean surface roll out your dough and lightly brush it with melted butter. If using phyllo begin with 3 thin sheets, brush with butter, then add 3 more sheets, more butter until you have about 12 to 15 buttered sheets stacked. Spread the filling on top of the dough and fold, taking care to tuck in the ends as shown below. Butter the seam.
- Bake. Place the strudels on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, seam side down. Brush generously with butter, then partially score the tops on the diagonal (see below) for moisture to escape. Bake.
Serving Suggestions & Pairings
- Appetizer. Slice in multiple pieces and arrange them on a platter or serving board, perhaps drizzled with balsamic reduction (very complementary flavor). If desired serve with a small bowl of sour cream/creme fraiche, mixed with fresh ground pepper and fresh thyme leaves.
- Entree. Allow the diner to cut their own mushroom strudel and plate a larger piece. By far the best side to accompany it is mixed greens salad with red onions. Spinach or kale based salads are great options as well.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- 2 tbsp butter + more for brushing the dough*
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 18-20 oz mushrooms (cremini recommended)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 6 oz goat cheese
- 2 sheets puff pastry (or 24-30 phyllo sheets, about 5-6 ounces, or 1 recipe strudel dough, see below)
- Clean and trim the mushrooms and chop as finely as you'd like**. Over medium heat melt 2 tbsp butter and saute the mushrooms with the garlic and thyme. Once most of the mushroom moisture has been released and evaporated add the chopped parsley, the flour and season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for another minute or two. Remove from the stove and let cool down a bit. Fold in the goat cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Melt the rest of the butter. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread out the puff pastry onto a clean surface and brush each of the two sheets with a bit of melted butter. If using phyllo, start with 3 sheets, brush, then add 3 more, brush and so on until you have 2 separate piles comprised of 12 to 15 phyllo sheets each.
- Divide the filling and spread it over each sheet of dough. Leave a little room at the ends. Fold the short end inward and roll along the longer side. Brush seam with butter, place seam side down onto baking sheet. Generously brush with butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the surface is deep gold color. Allow to cool down for 5 minutes before slicing.
*You will need from 4 to 10 tbsp of extra butter melted. 4 if using puff pastry, about 6 if making your own strudel dough and about 10 if using phyllo.
**A finer chop will result in a filling that holds together better, but will cost you the wonderful texture of chunky mushrooms.
HOW TO MAKE STRUDEL DOUGH FROM SCRATCH:
Sift 2 cups of all-purpose flour into a bowl and add 1 tsp of salt. Mix. Beat one egg and add to the flour along with 2 tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil and 2/3 cup water at room temperature..
Mix well together and knead into a dough. Cover with plastic and let rest for 30 minutes in a warm spot.
Flour a clean surface and knead the dough for a few minutes. Roll it out very thin. Spread out a large, clean kitchen towel and flour the top side. Place the rolled out dough on top, split it into two and using your hands stretch it out, aiming for two rectangle shapes of roughly 8 by 12 inches. Proceed with the recipe as written above. Use the towel to help you roll the dough.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 813Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 763mgCarbohydrates: 115gFiber: 38gSugar: 40gProtein: 44g
Nutrition data varies depending on type of dough used and quantity of butter.